Ralph Sultan is working for you
My work in Victoria has involved working on issues ranging from engineering to the environment. However, three areas in particular merit special mention: finance, mining, and health care.
• Finance: conducting a special examination of securities regulation in B.C.; running a public consultation on the rewriting of the Insurance Act; helping revive IFC (International Financial Institutions) activity in B.C.; encouraging new government venture capital measures.
• Mining: chairing the Mining Task Force; maintaining close liaisons with the industry; working on such projects as the Highway 37 power line extension and the maintaining of Kemess; arranging for the capital funding of an endowed chair in mining research at UBC.
• Health Care: advocating for the new $45 million mental health and addictions building at Lions Gate Hospital; assisting the HIV-AIDS Centre of Excellence at Providence Health Centre with plans to roll-out their proven therapies province-wide; obtaining a $25 million commitment to the UBC Brain Health Centre addressing issues from autism to dementia; serving as Chair of the Legislative Health Committee, guiding a large consultative report on Childhood Obesity; serving on the government’s Act Now Committee for healthy living; assisting the BC Cancer Agency on governance issues.
Ralph’s record in West Vancouver-Capilano:
My work in the riding of West Vancouver-Capilano has focused on providing the absolute highest level of service and response with my team of three dedicated constituency assistants. Each week, we deal with several hundred constituency contacts, communications and requests for assistance.
Riding-specific accomplishments include:
- Ensuring the return of $5.25 million in traffic fine revenues from 2007 and 2008 to bolster policing in both West Vancouver and North Vancouver
- Encouraging the $2 million Capilano Road upgrade project with the federal government and the District of North Vancouver
- Working behind the scenes to ensure effective Police Board appointments, enhanced public security resources and tougher parole and sentencing provisions in the justice system
- Conceiving and helping plan the development of the Spirit Trail from Deep Cove to Horseshoe Bay and improve bike access to Lions Gate Bridge
- Assisting in the decision to build a new Highlands School at Edgemont Village
- Assisting in the decision to grant $1.3 million to West Vancouver for the seismic upgrade of West Vancouver Secondary School
- Chairing the Steelhead Summit and Steelhead Caucus, with province-wide goals which include saving the steelhead of the Capilano River
- Working with the Hollyburn Heritage Society to preserve the original ski lodge on Hollyburn
- Advising Capilano College in their successful quest for University status
- Providing counsel and assistance to the Home and Health Care Society (formerly the VON) project to build a respite centre for families of the disabled, in North Vancouver
- Encouraging technical studies of beach restoration at Ambleside
- Initiating a $2 million study of transportation alternatives for the north end of the Lions Gate Bridge
- Supporting the North Shore ports strategy, involving improved rail access and overpasses in North Vancouver
- Assisting in the decision to build the new $9.5 million Highlands Elementary School in Edgemont Village
- Facilitating $2 million of joint federal-provincial funding for a seismic upgrade of the Edgemont Public Library
- Arranging for operating grants to Family Place at Ambleside and to Fast Start pre-school programs at Hollyburn School
- Facilitating a capital grant of $9 million to the Francophone School Authority for construction of new Andre Piolat School in North Vancouver